I found a couple of problems with our CI workflow that we built in the last post. We’re not running any tests The docker container we’re using to build the solution doesn’t pass out the exit code of our command; if a build fails inside the container we won’t know about it as long as our docker-compose command exits with code 0. I picked xUnit to test our C# code because it’s got a more familiar assert structure that’s similar to jUnit.
I’ve always been interested in automated testing ever since I learned about it. However, it’s really hard to do, and the difficulty has always been a barrier to doing things right. I wanted to remove those barriers with this project so I decided I’d start right this time and go with TDD and CI at the start. I started looking into CI providers for open-source projects, and decided to start with Appveyor.
I’m a student at WGU and I recently finished the new Software 1 project. It was a desktop app using JavaFX to mock an ERP for a business that sells products that have parts inside of them. It’s a great proof-of-concept app, but there’s a lot lacking from the initial requirements document. There’s no way any company would look at what I built for the Software I class and say “Hey, I can use that right now!